Sunday, August 28, 2005

kindergarten

My oldest child started full-day kindergarten last week. He seems to like it. His teacher is 22 years old and fresh out of college. As a friend of mine who teaches elementary school in another state told me, I could get the one who takes this year to figure out that this is SO not the profession for her, or I could get a natural. We'll see, I guess.

So far she neglected to look in his backpack for a lunch and just assumed I sent neither lunch nor lunch money. On the other hand, she bought him a lunch.

Her description of where my son should be at the end of the year academically is discouraging in numbers/mathematics. He's past there already.

He's past where the class will be starting with reading, but he doesn't really know how to read yet. (He reads a few dozen simple words right now.) I assume this means the classwork will quickly catch up to where he currently is.

He likes kindergarten as far as I can tell. And happily, he already knows a few of the kids in his class. They went to preschool together. I hope he has a good year. I plan to do everything I can to make it happen.

No comments: